The fort of Maharani Jhansi has strategic importance since the earliest of times. It was built by Raja Bir Singh Ju Deo (1606-27) of Orchha on a rocky hill called Bangra in the town of Balwantnagar (presently known as Jhansi).
The fort has ten gates ( Darwaza). Some of these are Khandero Gate, Datia Darwaza, Unnao gate, Jharna Gate, Laxmi Gate, Sagar Gate, Orcha Gate, Sainyar Gate, Chand Gate.
Among places of interest within the main fort area are the Karak Bijli Toup (Tank), Rani Jhansi Garden, Shiv temple and a “Mazar” of Ghulam Gaus Khan, Moti Bai and Khuda Baksh.
The Jhansi fort, a living testimony of ancient glamor and valour, also has a fine collection of sculptures which provide an excellent inside into the eventful history of Bundelkhand.